Online application form
The deadline for Fall 2023 applications was February 1.
To learn more about submitting a late application, please click here.
Writing Supplement Essay
The Writing Supplement Essay will give us a sense of who you are as a person, beyond your grades and test scores. The statement also demonstrates your ability to organize thoughts and express yourself.
The question for the Writing Supplement Essay can be found in CMU-Q’s Writing Supplement section within the Common Application.
Please note that while the Writing Supplement Essay is required, there is also an essay in the common part of the Common Application. This essay is optional for applicants to CMU-Q.
Official and complete academic transcripts
All transcripts and official results are submitted by your college counselor, principal or academic advisor through the Common Application. Please invite your school official through the feature inside your CMU-Q Common App.
Your academic transcripts show us your secondary school performance, which is the main factor in our admission decision. We pay close attention to the curriculum rigor and the grades you have earned.
- Transcripts from all secondary schools attended, including all courses taken for grades 10, 11, and 12
- Official standardized test results, such as British IGCSE’s, AS, and A-Levels, Indian Standard X and XII board exam results
- Predicted grades if available
- Transfer applicants should include official transcripts from their current university
Official TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo results
To demonstrate your proficiency in English, CMU-Q requires applicants to submit official TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo results.
CMU-Q will accept both the TOEFL iBT and the new TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition. Please follow the links for further information on test dates and locations.
Use code 4246 for TOEFL score reports to be sent to Carnegie Mellon.
For Fall 2023 admission, CMU-Q will be accepting the both IELTS Academics and IELTS for UKVI and the new IELTS Indicator. Please follow the links for further information on test dates and locations. Please note, the IELTS Indicator is currently not offered by the British Council to residents in Qatar.
You can also register for a test directly with the British Council office in your country. In Qatar, the British Council office in Doha can be contacted on 800 5501.
CMU-Q now accepts the Duolingo English Test as an equivalent for the TOEFL or IELTS. To learn more about the Duolingo English Test and how to send results, please visit Duolingo’s site.
Waiver Policy for TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo
The TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo requirement may be waived if an applicant qualifies under our waiver policy.
Option 1: Waiving the TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo requirement through SAT/ACT score
If you have a score of 600 or higher on the SAT Reading and Writing Section OR a score of 26 or higher on both the English and Reading sections of the ACT, you will automatically qualify for a waiver from the TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo. There is no need to initiate a request for waiver through the Office of Admission.
Option 2: Waiving the TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo requirement through primary and native language confirmation
If English is ALL of the below, you may send an email to the Office of Admission describing in detail your language background:
- Main/primary language from birth used at home with parents
- The language of instruction at your school
- Your stated first language in the Common App
- An official language of the country of which you are a citizen
All Option 2 waiver requests will be considered by the Director of Admission. If approved, the information will be verified with your high school counselor.
Letters of recommendation
One letter of recommendation from a college counselor, principal, or academic advisor is required.
Additionally, one letter of recommendation from a teacher or professor is required.
All recommendation letters are submitted by your recommenders through the Common Application. Please invite your recommenders through the feature inside your CMU-Q Common App.
We are looking for information that will help us know you better as a person and as a student. Recommendations from school counselors, advisors, headmasters or teachers provide insight regarding your academic potential and character.
Passport and biographical information
A copy of your passport must be uploaded to our Passport and Biographical Page. This requirement can only be submitted electronically through the page, as paper copies will not be accepted through regular mail or at the Office of Admission.
Please note: Your Common Application ID is also required to submit this form. This form can be submitted after starting your Common Application to CMU-Q. The Common App ID is provided immediately when starting the Common Application.
Official SAT or ACT results (optional)
CMU-Q is ACT/SAT optional for Fall 2023 applications. However, we require the IELTS/TOEFL/Duolingo for all students, unless they meet our waiver policy (as detailed under the ‘Official TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo results’ section).
If you choose to submit ACT/SAT scores with your application, CMU-Q must receive all scores by the application deadline of February 1.
Please see the College Board website for information on test dates and locations.
Use code 4246 for official SAT score reports to be sent to Carnegie Mellon Qatar.
Please see the ACT website
for information on test dates and locations.Use code 5269
for official ACT score reports to be sent to Carnegie Mellon Qatar.
- Early Decision: Interviews take place in October.
- Regular Decision: Interviews occur in January on-campus. As slots in January are limited, we operate an interview waiting list system beginning in January. If you would like to be considered for a January interview, please submit the Waitlist Interview Request Form via the link below.
- PLEASE NOTE: This form is only to be completed if you are residing in Qatar. If you are not residing in Qatar, please do NOT submit this form, as we regret that we are not able to accommodate interview requests from students who are not residing in Qatar.
- If your interview request is declined, please do not assume that your application for admission will also be declined. Many students are admitted each year without participation in an interview.
Request an On-Campus Interview (students residing in Qatar only)
A non-refundable $70 USD application fee must be paid online through credit card upon completion of the Common Application. If needed, a fee waiver can be requested inside the Common App.