Frequently Asked Questions

[ + ]

What are the Health requirements for students who are new to CMU-Q?

All full-time incoming students must complete the online immunization, as well as upload immunization records with dates from their healthcare providers. If your immunization records are in a language other than English, please translate the date of each vaccine dose into English before uploading.

These forms must be completed on Health Connect and documents verifying you completed the immunizations should be uploaded on Health Connect

  • Complete the online Health History form
  • Complete the online Immunization form
  • Read and acknowledge the online Notice of Privacy Form

This information can be found on the New Student Information webpage

  • Wellness Needs Assessment
  • Health Insurance mandate

Where do I access the online forms and upload my records?

When you have your andrew ID, you can access all of our online forms in HealthConnect (select Forms). You can also upload your immunization records here.

   Please note: in order to access HealthConnect, your birthdate in the Student Information System (SIO) must be correct. If you are unable to access HealthConnect, check your birthdate in SIO. If it is incorrect, correct it at the HUB. The following day, it should be updated in HealthConnect. If you still have problems, contact the Office of Health and Wellness.

When will I receive my Andrew ID?

You will receive your Andrew ID via the email address you used on your application to CMUQ within one week of paying your deposit.

I received the CMUQ Slate System Admission ID is this the same as the Andrew ID?

Your Admission ID is different from your Andrew ID. You will receive your Andrew ID via the email address you used on your application to CMUQ within one week of paying your deposit.

I haven’t received my Andrew ID. What should I do?

  • Have you paid your deposit? Was it paid at least a week ago? If so, you will receive your Andrew ID via the email address you used on your application to CMUQ within one week of paying your deposit.
  • You should receive an email from Computing Services, that includes the FirstPass instructions for retrieving your Andrew ID and setting your password.  If you have not received this email, you can email and they will assist you in getting it set up.

What does the email say in regards to the Andrew ID?

From: Service Desk

Subject: Receive your Andrew userID Date: July 2, 2015 at 4:18:17 PM EDT


Joe User,

Your new Andrew account has been created. Follow the steps below to receive your Andrew userID and set your initial password.

  1. Go to
  2. Follow the onscreen First Pass


  • The link above is unique and can only be used once. It will EXPIRE on Jul 06, 2015 11:59:59. Be sure to visit the web page before the expiration
  • Write down your Andrew userID. You will need it to set your

Please direct computer account questions to: Service Desk

Work Hours: Sun – Thur (8:00am – 5:00pm) Phone: +974 4454-8440

Email: Walk-in: 2074 IT Service Desk

For Students who have previously attended as non-degree (ABP, Cross-registration, Pre- college programs)

Please use the Andrew Password Setup Page Below. You will need your previous Andrew ID, Admission ID and Date of Birth. (You can search for your Previous Andrew ID by entering your name here )


I can’t access Health Connect from the hyperlinks in the email. What should I do?

Why am I required to submit my immunization records?

  • Immunization records are required in accordance with Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar and Qatar Foundation policies, these policies are in place to protect you and the community against vaccine-preventable.
  • The Immunization Action Coalition offers easy-to-understand information about each of the required immunizations, including information in foreign languages.

What immunizations are required?

Refer to the New Student Information webpage and access the Required Immunizations document for additional information.

Is there anything that I can do while I am waiting to receive my Andrew ID?

While you are waiting for your Andrew ID you can use the Immunization Worksheet to verify that you have completed all the requirements.

I don’t have my childhood immunization record. Can I have a blood test done to meet the requirements of the immunizations?

You can provide a blood test (original lab report is required) proving immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (MMR titer), Varicella, and Hepatitis B. All the other requirements (Polio, Tdap, meningitis) can be met by having a booster dose and submitting proof that these were completed.

My Mum says I had Chicken Pox (Varicella) when I was young can I just note this on the vaccine page?

No, as the only accurate way to confirm that you had the disease or have been immunized is via a Varicella blood titer.

What are blood titers?

Serum titers are blood tests that measure whether or not you are immune to a given disease(s). More specifically, a quantitative serum titer is a titer with a numerical value indicating your actual degree of immunity to a disease(s). Blood titers are done for Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella and Hepatitis B.

What is the difference between quantitative and qualitative titers?

Quantitative has a specific numerical value indicating your actual degree of immunity.

Qualitative titers simply indicate immune or not immune but not the degree of immunity.

Do I need both IgG and IgM Titers for Measles, Mumps, Rubella or Varicella to verify immunity?

No, you only need IgG titers.

Which type of blood titer do I need to establish immunity for Hepatitis B?

You need Hep B AB (antibody) titers. Do NOT get Hep B AG (Antigens) Titers.

My blood titer result was equivocal or borderline. Do I need another immunization?

Yes, we cannot accept borderline immunity. You will need to complete the immunization dosage as recommended by the CDC.

Do I need a blood titer test if I only partially completed my immunization series for Hepatitis B, Varicella or MMR?


How do I submit proof that I received the required immunizations if I lost my childhood immunization card?

If you do not have your immunization record to submit; it is recommended that you have a health care provider such as a physician licensed to practice medicine in all of its branches (M.D. or DO), a licensed nurse or a public health official complete, sign, date and stamp the Immunization Worksheet verifying that the immunizations were completed. This worksheet is on the New Student Information webpage.

I had a BCG vaccine at birth do I still need to have a PPD test done?

Yes, you still need a TB test, unless you had a previous Mantoux TB test that was positive with an indurated reaction of 10mm or greater. In that case, you must have documentation of a negative chest x-ray and be without symptoms from your health care provider. The preferred test for someone who has received BCG is the TB blood test.

I have a copy of my immunization record – can I send it to you instead of uploading it to Health Connect?

No, we do not accept immunization records for incoming students by mail, fax, or email. All students must upload the forms on Health Connect.

I am a student transferring from one of the other Education City universities or the Academic Bridge Program. Do I still have to complete the health requirements?

Yes. Your personal health information is confidential and is not shared between institutions in Education City.

How will I know if all my health documentation has been received and all requirements have been met?

You will receive a secure email confirmation from the Director of Health and Wellness outlining whether all requirements have been met.  You are not considered a fully matriculated student until your medical file requirements are complete.

What if I do not have all of the required immunizations by the deadline?

You can email the Director of Health and Wellness at for additional guidance regarding your individual circumstances.

I live in Doha. Where can I get vaccinations and blood titers?

If you have a Hamad Health card you can visit your designated Primary Health Care Clinic.

If you visit a private facility verify your insurance coverage.

**Note: It is advised that you call prior to visiting a medical facility to ensure services are available.

Where do I go to collect my results if I had blood titers drawn at Mesaimeer Vaccination Clinic?

Blood titer results can be collected at Hamad Medical City, Virology Department

Do I need a Tuberculosis (TB) test?

Yes, all students are required to have a TB test that has been completed within 6 months of your arrival to campus.

Which TB test should I get?

You may get either a TB skin test, a TB blood test, or a chest X-ray.

**Note: The only acceptable skin test is the PPD tuberculin 5 T.U. (Mantoux TB test). We do not accept multiple puncture tests (i.e. TINE, Monovac).

  • If you cannot get the Mantoux test, you should get a TB blood test, such as the Quantiferon or T- Spot, or any other IGRA (interferon-gamma release assay)

How should the TB skin test be documented?

TB test results must be read within 48 to 72 hours after administration and signed by a healthcare The result must be documented in mm. of induration; we cannot accept a simple reading of “positive” or “negative”. All tests must be documented on Health Connect.

I have had a positive TB skin test in the past. What do I do?

If it measured 10mm or more you will need to have a chest X-ray.

I am an International Student and my country does not have certain vaccines or blood titers available. What can I do?

If you have exhausted all options for obtaining the immunizations in your home country, you can email the Director of Health and Wellness at for additional guidance regarding your individual circumstances.

What is the Wellness Assessment and where is it located?

The Wellness Assessment can be found on the New Student Information webpage. This survey will provide the Office of Health and Wellness with valuable information on how to best meet the health needs of the students.

Does the university pay for the Health Insurance required of students?

Health Insurance is the responsibility of each student.  In accordance with the Health Insurance Policy, all students must have adequate health insurance coverage. All non-Qatari students will be automatically enrolled in the university offered health insurance plan and charged in their first semester of attendance each academic year.  You can request to waive the insurance if you are able to provide documentation that you have an alternative private health insurance plan that meets the minimum requirements.

I have the Hamad Card. Can I request to waive Health Insurance?

The Hamad Card does not meet the minimal requirements to waive the university offered health insurance.

I have read through all of the FAQ's and I still have questions. Who can I contact?

Send questions via email to