There are several options for exercising in Doha.
- All of the compounds have pools, and some have weight rooms. Some even have classes and personal trainers available.
- In addition, we have access to the sports facilities at the Education City recreation facility, though the hours are limited once school opens. Facilities include an Olympic-size pool, a gym, weight rooms, and squash and tennis courts. There are also showers, though women are advised that there are no outlets in the women’s locker rooms for hairdryers. CMU-Q's Division of Student Affairs has organized lunchtime fitness activities every weekday at the recreation facility. A bus leaves from the Cornell library entrance at 11:45am to return at 1:15pm. Contact Funke (Director of Health and Wellness, Ext. 8297) for more information.
- There are several clubs you can join for exercise and recreation, as well as access to a private beach. The Intercontinental and Sheraton Hotels have nice exercise facilities and beaches, as does The Diplomatic Club. You can join either with a single membership or a family membership (includes kids under 18). Prices vary, but are around QR4000 per year per person, or QR8000 for a family.
- Besides joining a club, or exercising at your compound, you can run in the desert (there is a Hash House Harriers club) or walk on the Corniche. There are also exercise and yoga classes at many of the hotels; see a copy of Marhaba for more.
- Cycling is another big group sport in Doha, with groups cycling in the mornings on Friday and Saturday at various times throughout the entire year (yes, even in the summer). There is a dlist for cyclists within the Qatar mailing system which you can find through the qatar.cmu.edu/myandrew website (follow Qatar mailing lists > view advertised lists) for weekly updates of when groups go out.
- See Also