There are, of course (Qatar being a peninsula), many beaches to visit. The larger hotels and clubs have nicely maintained beaches with chairs and umbrellas, but there is a charge (about 90QR, ~$25) to use them unless you are a guest at the hotel, or a member of the spa facility. You can also drive out to the coast just about anywhere and use the beaches. They are often rocky, so water shoes are a good idea, and they are unimproved, which means no changing facilities, or amenities. Bring what you need. The water of the Gulf is very salty, so you will probably appreciate goggles. In August the water is very warm, and gets surprisingly cold during the winter months. Travel with another vehicle when visiting remote places. Always tell friends and neighbors your intended destination and expected time of your return. During summer use sunscreens, beach umbrellas or shades, and a hat. Always carry a container of water for yourself and also for your vehicle. In winter the temperatures drop rapidly after sunset so take along warm clothing.
- Ras Abruq, or Bir Zikrit Beach (approximately 1 hour driving time, 4 wheel drive vehicle suggested))
- Dukhan Beach (approximately 45 minutes driving time)
- Umm Baab Beach (approximately 1 hour driving time)
- Salwa Beach (approximately 1.5 hours driving time)
- Khor Al Udeid Beach, or Inland Sea (approximately 1 hour to Sealine, 4 wheel vehicles and desert driving experience needed across dunes to Inland Sea, another 45 minutes driving)
- By road to Mazrat Turaina and then on a very rough track southeast
- Along the beach from Messaied, but check the tide times as cars have been known to get stuck and submerged by the incoming tide;
- Across the dunes from Messaied. This route should only be attempted by drivers experienced in soft and desert conditions but it is by far the most enjoyable.
- Mesai'eed Sealine Beach Resort (approximately 1 hour driving time)
This bay, a favorite for weekend campers, is at the tip of a peninsula northeast of Dukhan and opposite Hawar island. From Doha take the main Dukhan road until 10 Kms short of Dukhan. Turn right along the tarmac road to the tiny village of Bir Zikrit. Although the road finishes here, there is a well defined track heading north over rough ground to a police post. Cross the post and cross the causeway. There are several beaches to choose from, but the one at the far end is the best.
- Turn left on reaching the outskirts of Dukhan. Follow the coast south for six or seven kilometers, then turn right heading for the sea. There are many convenient places to stop.
From Doha take the Salwah road, passing the Mukheines satellite earth station and turn right at the police post. There is cement works on the east side of Umm Baab. Turn right immediately after the round about there and drive on with the modern housing on your left. On cresting a hill you will see the coast stretched below and the distinctive group of palm trees.
- There is a good beach next to the Saudi border post. With the right tides and favorable weather, the waves make it possible to body surf (a rare treat in Qatar).
- This is the place to get away from it all. It is an area of outstanding beauty at the SE tip of Qatar, but only accessible by four-wheel drive vehicles. NEVER TRAVEL ALONE. It is easy to get stuck in the loose sand and there are vast areas that would make it very hard to locate one lone car out in the desert. You should always inform friends and neighbors when you are going to the Inland Sea and when you expect to return. You may wish to go with a tour company (see Tour Companies)
There are three ways to get there:
- A nicely maintained resort and beach area at southern end of Qatar with restaurant, playground, villas, chalets, hotel rooms. During certain times of the year there are a lot of jellyfish in the water. Be sure to bring white vinegar with you to rub on the stings. Stay, or come for the day (fee for use of beach & pool, & weekend entry). Phone: 477-2722. You can also rent quads (four wheelers) here (150QR per hour, ~$42) and run up and down the sand dunes near the resort.